Change Your Life— “Dare to Look”




I am fascinated by Dorthea Lange and her photography. Here is a little bit about her from BYU's Museum of Art.

Known for her candid and sympathetic depiction of people, Dorothea Lange is
one of the most revered photographers of the twentieth century. For over four
decades she explored the human psyche through portraiture and
documentary photography. The probing portraits of her early career
prepared Lange to photograph the people involved in the tumultuous
events of the San Francisco labor strikes of 1934, the Great Depression, and
the Japanese internment during World War II. Her 1936 photograph, The
Migrant Mother, is one of the great icons of the American century.

Dorthea was a woman in a man’s world, photographing things that many people ignored. She is often associated with the phrase, "Daring to Look" and you can view some of her photos in a book by the same name. If you are as intrigued by her as I am, there is a great website called daringtolook.com that provides further information.
Are there things that you are afraid to really look at? There are definitely some that I am…my checking account balance, the numbers on the scale, my children’s midterms, my post-winter yard. Silly things in the grand scheme, but things that need to be looked at, and worked on, and improved. I think this month I am going to “dare to look” at some things in my own life and start making some changes.
While you are thinking about the things that you should “dare to look” at, enjoy this video of Dorthea’s photography.

Dorthea Lange “Daring to Look”

If you just can’t get enough of her, there is a current Dorthea Lange exhibition at BYU’s Museum of Art, showcasing a Life Magazine photo spread that she worked on with Ansel Adams. I will be at the museum at the end of April…anyone want to come?

No comments:

Post a Comment