Thrift Store Thursday—The Green Ant

 

DSC_0673

A few weeks ago, my sister suggested that I check out a couple of thrift stores in SLC that she had read about in Sunset Magazine. So I did. My first stop was The Green Ant, a store that buys and sells vintage mid-century modern furniture. Do you know what mid-century modern design is? No, well, I will tell you…actually I’ll let The Green Ant tell you:

After WWII, a new era of simple, clean design came about that today we call mid-century modern. This distinctive furniture from the ‘40s through the ‘70s had a look and feel all its own. It was modern, futuristic, and optimistic and was made from new materials such as fiberglass, aluminum and bent plywood. I think noted designer Mies Vander Rohe summed up the movement best, “Less is more.”

I love the clean lines and simplicity of mid-century modern, but it also has a warmth to it that contemporary design sometimes lacks. I’m old enough to remember some of this design in my childhood home and the homes of my friends. In fact, I wish I had the green “spinny” chair that was in my parents’ living room. It was quite fantastic.

The furniture and accessories in the Green Ant are equally fantastic. In fact, the whole experience was quite enjoyable. A very friendly owner, beautiful merchandise and…a surprise. First, take a look at a few of my favorite things:

 

DSC_0633 DSC_0639
DSC_0646 DSC_0650
DSC_0651 DSC_0645
DSC_0641 DSC_0644
DSC_0672 DSC_0648

 

Now, for the surprise! There was so much to like in The Green Ant, but Hana is the star of the shop.

 

DSC_0635

 

Isn’t she beautiful! She likes to sit in a patch of sun in the store window and play with her skateboard.

 

DSC_0653

 

I love shop dogs and Hana was especially endearing. She came right over for some lovin’ and seemed to pose for the photos I snapped. She was a sweetie and I spent a lot of time admiring her.

Lovely store, lovely dog, lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. Did you score anything notable?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not this time, but I've got my eye on the globes...and the dog. Next time for sure!

    ReplyDelete