Things Change—DIY Coasters

*If you like DIY paint chip crafts, check out my calendar and invitations.

 

DSC_0031


This is a super easy and super inexpensive DIY.  The tile cost me $.16, the paint chips were free, and the felt pads are about $.06 each.  I already had the brush and Mod Podge because I’m always up for a great DIY.  I made 10 coasters at $.22 each so I spent $2.22.  The entire project took about 15 minutes, except for drying time which is also relatively quick.  I would recommend waiting about 24 hours to actually use the coaster so that it isn’t sticky…especially if you are using it for hot liquids.  Here is what you will need:

 

DSC_0007
Mod Podge
sponge brush
paint chips
4” ceramic tile
self-stick felt pads

DSC_0033

For this project, I used Behr paint chips from Home Depot.  They are already cut in this leaf shape and they fit perfectly on a 4”tile.  They also have a mini leaf punch-out that you can push out or leave in.  I pushed mine out and placed it next to the big leaf.  The result…they look like fish.  Fish are good, right.  I also have to say that I love these paint chips and I foresee a lot of future uses for them:  a fall leaf paint chip calendar, gift tags, floral wall appliques, note pads, etc.  They come in about twenty different colors.  If you don’t have access to Home Depot paint chips, just get regular ones and cut them into whatever shape you wish…maybe fish?

DSC_0015

Using the sponge brush, coat the top of the tile with a layer of Mod Podge.

DSC_0013

Next, center the paint chip on the tile and apply a coat of Mod Podge over the top of the paint chip.  Make sure you cover the edges good.  If the edges start to curl up, put a bit of Mod Modge underneath the paint chip with your finger and then smooth down with the brush.  Also, make sure all of your brush strokes go in the same direction because in the right light you will be able to see them.  A cross-hatch pattern might be nice, too.  Since my paint chips are shaped like leaves, I applied the paint chip with a diagonal brush stroke to match the direction of the leaf. Let dry.

DSC_0016

Attach self-stick felt pads to the back of the tile at each corner.  These come in different sizes and colors and can be found in the hardware section of most stores.  Make sure to do this or the tile will scratch whatever surface you put it on…and the whole point of a coaster is to protect the surface.

DSC_0024

Ta dah!  Now pour yourself a glass of sparkling water and sit on the porch to rest from your labor. 
Don’t forget your coaster…your mother will be proud.




 

3 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! I love using paint chips. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Went to home depot to get the paint chips.. the ones I got had the name of the color and a bunch of other writing! :( They also had $0.13 tiles, but it was an off white color incase anyone wants to save a few pennies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! Though, since you'd have water on them fairly often (condensation dripping down/spills/etc) it might be a good idea to seal it with a polyurethane or polyester resin. I'll definitely be making these coasters for Christmas gifts! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete