A Chocolate-Cherry Cake for the President and Wife

 

A Presidents' Day quiz

By Valerie Strauss of The Washington Post

Here are a dozen questions to test your presidential knowledge on this Presidents' Day, with answers and explanations below.

1. How many presidents have served the United States?
a) 42
b) 44
c) 45
d) 49


2. Who was the oldest President?
a) George Herbert Walker Bush
b) John Adams
c) Harry Truman
d) Ronald Reagan


3) Who was the youngest President?
a) Theodore Roosevelt
b) George W. Bush
c) John F. Kennedy
d) Bill Clinton

4) What is the president’s annual salary?
a) $200,000
b) $250,000
c) $400,000
d) $500,000


5) What was the salary of the first president, George Washington?
a) $10,000
b) $18,000
c) $22,000
d) $25,000


6) What is the birth state of the most presidents?
a) Virginia
b) Massachusetts
c) New York
d) Illinois


7) How many presidents died in office (by assassination or natural causes)?
a) 4
b) 6
c) 8
d) 9


8) How many former presidents are still living?
a) 2
b) 3
c) 4
d) 5


9) Who was the first President to live in the current White House?
a) George Washington
b) John Adams
c) Thomas Jefferson
d) James Madison

10) Which president had a pet cow named Pauline Wayne who lived on the White House lawn?
a) Thomas Jefferson
b) Abraham Lincoln
c) William Taft
d) Theodore Roosevelt

11) Who was the only president to serve two nonconsecutive terms?
a) John Quincy Adams
b) Theodore Roosevelt
c) Grover Cleveland
d) Abraham Lincoln


12) Who was the first president born in a hospital?
a) George Washington
b) Jimmy Carter
d) John Quincy Adams
c) Theodore Roosevelt

Click here to find the answers to these questions.  I’m surprised at how few I actually knew. 

I do know, however, that I am blessed to live in a country where I can participate in the electoral process.  I also know that I have a lot of respect for the office of the President of the United States…no matter who is the President at the time.  I may not agree with them on many things, but I respect their role as President and I appreciate the immense sacrifice that they make to serve our country.  Once you are the President, your life and your families’ lives will never be the same…I’m sure that is a great privilege and a tremendous burden. 

So today, I would like to say,

Thank You,  President Obama and Mrs. Obama for your current role as First Couple.  I admire your sacrifice and your willingness to serve my country and help preserve my freedom.  If I could send you a cake to wish you a Happy President’s Day, I would, and it would have chocolate and cherries on it because President’s Day always makes me think of cherries (not sure why unless it is the whole George Washington and the cherry tree incident) and cherries taste so good with chocolate.  On a lighter note…Mrs. Obama, Michelle, I wish my arms were as toned as yours.  What do you do to get them that way?  

Love from a fellow American,

Lori C.

No comments:

Post a Comment