Healthy Changes—Health vs. Wellness


Image

I ran across this article about health and wellness a few weeks ago, and I have been thinking about it ever since.  Are you familiar with the concept of health vs. wellness?  I think most of us are.  Even if we can’t articulate the difference, we can definitely feel it.  Good health is an important part of wellness, but there is so much more to wellness than just good health.  Here is a great explanation…

“Most of us have grown up with the idea that we all want to have good health. Health is usually defined by absence of disease or injury, but it can also be classified as the general condition of the body and mind. A newer concept is that of “Wellness” this classification is referring to optimal health and vitality. A life with optimal health and vitality actually allows a person to have the quality of life they desire. This is a possibility if one is willing to take responsibility for their own health instead of placing that responsibility on others.”

With this explanation in mind, where do you fit on the health and wellness spectrum? I know I’m struggling with wellness, but I think I might not even fit in the good health definition at the moment.  I think I’m okay as far as the general condition of my body, but I’m struggling with the general condition of my mind…and that is affecting my physical health more and more often.

So, I am taking control of the situation, and I’ve discovered that the first step is to acknowledge that there is a problem.  In fact, now that I’ve finally accepted that, I feel empowered and peaceful and like I am headed in the right direction.  This next month I have appointments with my dentist, my OBGyn, and my counselor.  I’m going to work hard to get more rest, say “no,” exercise daily, and continue a healthy diet.  I’m also going to work on lots of creative projects.  But above all else, I’m going to give myself a break from the constant voice in my head telling me I’m not good enough.  I’m giving up incessant guilt and perfectionism and whining and self-abasement.  I’M DONE!…and I’m moving on to good health and eventually wellness.  Will you join me in making the change from health to wellness? 

No comments:

Post a Comment