Times Change—Rules for Female Cyclists


Image at Brain Pickings


Joe sent me this link today…it made me laugh.  A list of “Don’ts” for Women on Bicycles circa 1895.  Some of my favorites: 
  • Don’t faint on the road.
  • Don’t forget your toolbag
  • Don’t coast. It is dangerous.
  • Don’t criticize people’s “legs.”
  • Don’t wear loud hued leggings.
  • Don’t cultivate a “bicycle face.”
  • Don’t wear jewelry while on a tour.
  • Don’t imagine everybody is looking at you.
  • Don’t wear a garden party hat with bloomers.
  • Don’t contest the right of way with cable cars.
  • Don’t ask, “What do you think of my bloomers?”
  • Don’t let your golden hair be hanging down your back.
  • Don’t scratch a match on the seat of your bloomers.
  • Don’t scream if you meet a cow. If she sees you first, she will run.
Somehow it reminded me of Joanna Goddard’s post on riding bikes in skirts.
 

Image at A Cup of Jo

I wonder how many rules they broke?  I hope they all remembered their “toolbag” and that there was no screaming when they met up with cows!

No comments:

Post a Comment