2012 Changes—Green Smoothies

12 in 2012_thumb[2]

February--Get Healthy

I started my month of getting healthy with a green smoothie for breakfast.

DSC_0559-2

It is a great way to start the month and the day.  After I drink three of these glasses (really, three), I have all of the fruits and vegetables I need for the day plus some extras.  I also have a full tummy, extra energy, and a few bonus nutrients from flax seed and cherry concentrate. 

After trying out a few different smoothie recipes, this is the one I’ve finally settled on…

Green Smoothie

1 cup pineapple juice
5-7 cups loose spinach
1 Granny Smith apple (cored and cut, but not peeled)
1 banana
1 cup frozen tropical fruit (mango, papaya, pineapple, strawberries)
1 Tbsp. flax seed
1 Tbsp. cherry concentrate

If you have a super great blender, like a Blendtec or Vitamix, you can just throw it all in and blend.  I don’t, so I add the pineapple juice and cherry concentrate, fill the blender to the top with spinach, and blend.  Next, I again fill the blender to the top with spinach and blend.  Then, I add the apple and banana and blend.  Last, I add the frozen fruit and flaxseeds and blend until smooth.  It makes about 20 oz. of green smoothie, and I drink the whole thing myself.  It tastes best right after it is made.

I try to drink one every day and I alternate between breakfast and lunch.  I haven’t quite convinced my family to drink them, but I’m still hopeful!

No comments:

Post a Comment