Healthy Change—Living Walls

 


Flohaus

Have you ever heard of a living wall?  I hadn’t until today.  Basically, it is a wall, or part of a wall, that is covered with vegetation.  Most of us have seen something like this outside, but it can also be grown inside.  Why you might ask?  A simple answer…increase beauty and improve health…and don’t we all want more beauty in our lives and better health?  Living plants help to reduce the toxins in the air we breathe and less toxins means healthier bodies and healthier bodies means more beauty.  Living plants are also beautiful to look at, and add a sense of life and freshness to any interior.  (Fun fact:  I must have green leafy things on my food or it just doesn’t look appetizing…parsley, cilantro, basil, a salad.  I often base my restaurant choices on this.  I also have to have something green in every room in my house!)

I’m not ready to install a living wall indoors yet, but I’m definitely going to add some houseplants to my decor.  Especially after reading this article that claims that “the air quality in buildings is often filled with toxins and can be up to 10 times as polluted as the outside air. That's why the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has declared indoor air quality as one of its top five public health concerns and priorities.” 

The same article also reports that “NASA has done studies that show how live plants increase overall productivity by as much as 20 percent.”  I’m all for increasing overall productivity, so I’m going to add some plants to our office spaces, our homework area, and the kitchen and living areas.  What about you?  Anyone out there looking for more productivity at home?  Do you think adding some houseplants or a living wall might help?

No comments:

Post a Comment